Friday, September 2, 2011

Fish

There's a legend in China about a koi fish who swims up the Yellow River his whole life in order to overcome the waterfalls and be transformed into a dragon. For long the fish have symbolized the perseverance of an individual but also the struggle for independence, freedom, in the face of societal conformity. Fish are some of the most impressive creatures when it comes to the harsh conditions they face. Able to survive under a frozen glaze and even live out longer lives than humans who keep them in captivity, koi fish are notably some of the most beautiful fish in the world. It is their poetry and and distinguished versatility of their look which sets them apart from normal carp. Some koi are able to develop trusting relationships with one or two human beings in which they show affection and love.

Few people in the world actually exemplify the traits of a fish. Within the zodiac a fish symbolizes creativity, empathy and caring nature. A person is unpredictable, and someone important is never disappointing. Choose which way to swim, either with current and simply plugging through life or against it fighting for the life you want and the one you deserve. Fish are free it's what makes them so interesting.

When I was ten years old my dad brought a fish charm back from Japan with him and gave it to me. I tied it to a piece of string and wore it all the time. They say it is supposed to bring you luck, but it never did that for me. When I got older, in a way I gave up on it and tied it to a chain and wore it more simply and not as frequently. I'm not a fish, I don't really have those traits. In a way I think I was always just meant to find one. My soul is so much more Earth-bound than that of a fish. When I did finally find a fish, I considered myself for the first time really lucky. I fell in love with a fish, but fish don't really love back it isn't in their nature to love so simplistically. Fish love things that are larger than their own spirits, they can go beyond their years, they can swim upstream and become dragons. There's a story for everything, a legend even. If I had to go back, I wouldn't change the way I met my fish, the way I loved my fish, or the way I had to set my fish free. In my heart I will always protect that fish, keep its spirit alive and safe. You can only ever come across one fish, that's why I know I'm lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment